December 17, 2012 Leave a comment
We are pleased to inform you that we have a new improved Respen-A™ disc that can now be shipped and stored at room temperature. The new formulation referred to as simply, Respen-A™, is a 12C homeopathic dilution of reserpine and a 12C homeopathic dilution of a reserpine metabolite whereas the Respen-A™ Blended Chord that your child has been receiving is a 4X dilution of reserpine and 12C dilution of a reserpine metabolite.
Our goal in developing the new Respen-A™ formulation was to get the Respen-A™ stable at room temperature, but early reports from parents who have beta tested the new Respen-A™ formulation have stated that the new formulation has a superior effect in treating their child’s symptoms as compared to the Respen-A™ Blended Chord. We have enclosed one example of a parent’s testimonial comparing the effect of the new Respen-A™ with the previous Respen-A™ Blended Chord.
In order to get the Respen-A™ stable at room temperature, the packaging had to be changed to the foil packaging which is gas impermeable and has a very low volume of air surrounding the disc in the package. Unfortunately the foil packaging doesn’t allow a person to cut the disc in half and save the second half of the disc for the next day’s dose. Thus, you will need to apply the full disc each day.
Another benefit that we have seen with the new Respen-A™ disc is that L-tryptophan and/or 5-HTP doesn’t have to be supplemented as long as your child eats a serving of meat a day. The meat can be poultry, fish, beef, lamb, bison, venison, pork etc. Also inositol doesn’t have to be supplemented if your child is not on a gluten free diet. If your child is on a gluten free diet, they will probably still need the inositol supplementation, but very likely at a lesser dose than they were requiring with the Respen-A™ Blended Chord.
The 2,000 mg of elemental calcium with breakfast daily is still required with the new Respen-A™ disc. The application instructions are the same for the new Respen-A™ disc as they were for the Respen-A™ Blended Chord with the exception that the new Respen-A™ disc can now be stored at room temperature. For the longest possible shelf life, we recommend storing it in the refrigerator.
After January 1, 2013 the current Respen-A™ Blended Chord disc will no longer be available as it will be replaced by the new Respen-A™ disc. If you have any questions or concerns, please call the pharmacy or the Respen-A™ nurse consult line, toll free 1-877-963-3338.
Testimonial from Parent Testing the New Respen-A™ Disc as Compared to the Respen-A™ Blended Chord Disc
Yesterday we put Jacob back on the regular Respen Blended Chord disc (half disc). I have 3 packs left (6 days) and wanted to use them before they expired. Compared to the new Respen-A full disc packaged in foil that we have been testing for you…Jacob struggled way more on the Blended Chord. He was more agitated, more upset with feeling like he was always into trouble, less patience with his brothers(!), more difficulty with being interrupted. He even told me he didn’t feel very happy on this disc as the other one! WOW!
SO, we absolutely love the new Respen-A disc compared to the blended chord. He is so much happier and compliant and reasonable. He still perseverates on things but can be easily encouraged to stop without feeling he’s in trouble. He never once has said, “It’s always my fault…”, on the new disc but that was one of the first things he started saying yesterday when we re-tried the blended chord disc. He sometimes has periods where we feel he may be winding up and getting silly but he’s happy and that is SO much more important to us. We haven’t had the “giddiness” that I first told you about. He’s just way more happy.
When Lyndel notices, then I KNOW there’s a difference! ;o) I have listed below the benefits we have seen on the new Respen-A disc packaged in foil.
- Being truly kind and patient with his littlest brother.
- Very helpful even when he was engaged in his own interest. Normally, we’ve gotten a begrudging grunt and a slow response but he has been very helpful with a glad heart.
- Better focus on his school work.
- Easily calmed down after thinking he had been left at home by himself. (poor guy, I was home but I didn’t hear him call.) ;o( But he calmed down so much more quickly and didn’t hold on to it.
- Remembering to take his disc off at night by himself.
- So good at being redirected or refocused. Normally, he gets mad or upset when we redirect him or refocus him because of his particular “interest”. It’s been awesome to actually be able to correct him and he is able to take it, process it and be teachable and change. AMAZING!!
- He was able to take his shower without any prompts from me and then normally, he just stands and vegs’ out in the shower. He washed himself, shut the shower off and remembered to squeegie (sp?) the shower off…all without me telling him a thing! FANTASTIC!!!
- The last time we cut and hauled wood, he had a major tantrum in the yard (I told you about that). Also, he normally has to be redirected again and again, “Jacob, get the logs, Jacob here, Jacob get another log, etc.”. Today, he was focused, hard working and never complained once about working. He was so good and SO happy. I do have to say that we noticed he was more “happy go lucky”, which made it easy to help him and he just laughed it off but still did what we had asked.
- Jacob hasn’t been so focused on his particular “interest” these past few days/OCD. He still talks about them BUT doesn’t hound us. Last night when I was using the computer, he asked if he could be on it, I told him to wait until I was done, and then he sat next to me and waited patiently without bugging me. That’s big!
- Also, he was always coming up to us with arms outstretched wanting to hug. As cute as it is for our 4 year old to do this, not so cute for a big kid. He has not done that at all with this new Respen-A™ disc. He is willing to receive hugs just not always “needing” one.
- Thirdly, we realized that Jacob had way more energy yesterday (especially noticed because we were cutting and hauling wood). He was so worn out last night and I’m sure it’s because he was so much more active! It was so good.